Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Edinburg Looking For A New Superintendent

EDINBURG — The Edinburg school district is searching for its fourth superintendent in 10 years.

Gilberto Garza Jr., a longtime Edinburg administrator who stepped into the office when board members jettisoned J.L. Salinas in 2006, told his school board last month that he would retire when his contract expires in June.

"I think I pretty much accomplished what I set out to do," the 61-year-old said.

After some controversial personnel moves early in his tenure, Garza appeared to remain above the political fray, even during November's bruising school board race.

Don't really see what you mean about staying above on the political fray. That is the ONLY reason he got to be superintendent. As long as you promise to do this, this and this we will nominate you as the next superintendent. This was led by mrs. corruption herself, Carmen Gonzalez to get rid of Robert Alaniz.

School board members said that they will be sorry to see Garza go.
I can see why! He would do whatever the majority told him to do even if it was illegal.

"You don't find many like him," said Ciro Treviño. "I think that man has been wonderful for the district." That's true! You don't find anymore YES people.

School board attorney Jacques Treviño will lead the search for the new schools chief, with the hope of having a final choice in place by the end of the school year. And it better not be Maria Luisa Guerra. Jacques Trevino is related to her. Right Jacques?

Members are still deciding whether to change the job description to require the next superintendent to have a doctoral degree as well as 10 years' experience in education administration. Garza did not have a doctorate but made more than $160,000 a year. Only in Edinburg is where you can make $160,000 dollars without a doctoral degree.

They need to change the job description because Maria Luisa still needs a year or so to get her doctoral degree. And that position was promised to our DA if he helped Carmen and Ciro get re elected.

In his office Monday, Garza pointed to just one of the several photographs of his four grandchildren. "Those are my four reasons I'm leaving," he said. "For the rest of my life, you're only going to see me riding my horse, my Jeep or my truck." No, Mr. Garza! You leaving cause your emergency certificate expires in March. And in order to keep you as superintendent, you would have to make an attempt to get your doctoral degree.


I like to make my recommendation: Let's hire Carmen Gonzalez as our next superintendent. She will go from school to school explaining not to beat up your husband when he is having an affair. And she can also talk about how to make money off the district when employed by a company that does business with the district.

You know I have talked to several attorneys and they all say that Carmen and where she works is a conflict of interest. But the only one that matters is the school attorney. And he is not about to say otherwise. He wants to keep his job.

Why did David Torres vote to keep the security guard on ECISD payroll?
Remember, when David's kid was in trouble with the law for bringing a gun to school? Well, no charges were filed. And the chief of police back then is the same chief of police we have now. So, it's another case of scratch my back and I will scratch yours. Only in Edinburg!